Built in 1600, Pazhou Pagoda has a height of over 50 meters, with nine external floors and 17 internal ones. According to legend, golden turtles often appeared in the Pearl River, so it was originally called Turtle Pagoda, which also symbolizes "crown". Later, it was renamed Pazhou Pagoda as it was built on a mountain which looks like a Pipa(a four-stringed, pear-shaped Chinese instrument). It was one of the eight famous scenic spots in Guangzhou in the Qing Dynasty(1636-1912). For hundreds of years, it stood along the maritime Silk Road like a lighthouse, witnessing the city's development and opening up.